Sunday, July 8, 2018

Sushi Saturdays

Sushi Saturdays!!



My husband and I tried sushi and really fell in love! We couldn't get enough! We were wanting to go out every weekend! Even though we were going to the small, cheap places at happy hour, it would add up fast if we continued in this fashion. I kept wanting to learn to make it but my husband wasn't sold on the idea. I showed him a tutorial on YouTube and how simple it looked-he came around. I ordered a kit on amazon which came with a bamboo mat, chopsticks, rice spoon and spreader (?). I started collecting all the food supplies and decided to just give it a whirl.

Important supplies for sushi,
Bamboo mat
Nori/seaweed
Sushi Rice
Rice Vinegar
Choice fish (we get frozen tuna, this time we tried tempura shrimp from the freezer section)
Choice veggie (we always do cucumber and avocado-the only time my man likes avocado)
Soy sauce
Wasabi if you like it

*This time we also tried some crunchy onions on top! Still has to be better for you than the deep fried ones. There are gluten free options of those as well.
*Depending on what you want, we like the chili sauce for the spicy tuna
*We LOVE sriracha and spicy mayo

The sushi rice we bought has the sushi recipe and instructions on the bag.
We really like the spicy tuna and Alaska roll, so tuna is a great buy for us. When you cook tuna, you usually cook it pretty rare, so I figure the quality has to be pretty good across the board. That said, we buy the Sam's Choice frozen tuna filets from Walmart. One serving makes four rolls. I like to do two plain and two spicy. This time around my husband had a brilliant idea to look for some tempura shrimp. We were going to get some from Panda Express but it was to big and wrong batter. We checked the freezer section and there was a perfect option! I ended up using two shrimps per roll but that meant I could make six rolls per box and the box cost less than $8. Compare that to what you pay per roll at the store and it's a steal!  I just fried them up and let them cool a bit.


My biggest tip is to make the rice ahead of time and allow it to cool. I have a hard time thinking ahead some times!

Sake! We had started getting the sushi carry-out and buying a bottle of sake at the grocery store. It didn't feel right without the right drinkware, so I found a set on ebay. World Market does carry some but I didn't like my options.
Next, the sake: we had been picking up the cheapest bottle at the store, Walmart, Fry's, World Market- they all carry it. We found the BEST deal at Total Wine where we can get a double bottle for a dollar more, and it's better tasting. DEAL!
I heat the sake to 160 degrees and put it in a carafe until ready to serve. I just have to figure out how to make the sushi faster so Christian doesn't drink it all before the rolls are ready for it!

This last Saturday we decided to let you guys in on our action and did a time lapse video for you.

I love finding our favorite out food and making it at home. It helps me grow my culinary experience and save us some serious money.

We fed the kids while I made our sushi and we had a nice quiet(ish) dinner alone (kind of).

Let me know what your favorite sushi roll is!

***NOT all the attempts are picture perfect. Just roll with it!

 Keep Trying and enjoy!










No comments:

Post a Comment