Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Make Ahead Meal Prep

There's too much to say on food prep. No matter what your reason is for needing some meals ready and on hand (who doesn't love having something ready to warm and eat!?) here's my experience to share with you. *I've had five babies that I've done prep for as well as for vacations, surgeries, just to have on hand...etc I've never been upset to have a meal ready to go to make an meal easier.

It doesn't have to be 30 frozen baggies for the slow cooker!

I have to mention that I have one of the pickiest husbands ever (though he's getting better easier to please!) and he didn't want to have a dinner that tasted like "leftovers." I personally do not like most crock pot meals. Most meat cooked in a slowcooker tends to be dry and tasteless-I do have a few exceptions.

When I think of meal prep I think of what we like to eat, how does it freeze and how do the leftovers tend to do (does it do well warmed up). There's the typical go to recipes: lasagna, enchiladas, soup...but we live in a warm climate now- what to do when I don't want to heat up the oven?? More on that in a moment.
You have to do what works for you! What do you normally eat for dinner? Keep it simple. Bread freezes easy. Cheese and proteins freeze easy and so do *cooked* vegetables. NO, you cannot freeze a salad!!!YUCK. Think of walking down the freezer section and the things that you see? Now make it your way and it can be as healthy or indulgent as you want! And more than likely it will be better for you as well as cheaper.
-Don't limit yourself to casseroles.
-Don't limit your list to dinner!
-Have snacks, BREAKFAST, *DESSERT* and maybe lunch items handy.
-Make sure you have pantry items necessary to complete your meal on hand.

I put as many meals together completely as possible. Sometimes I'll need to add a salad or chips or something of the likes. I like to have them in foil 9x13 pans so they stack nicely. I write cooking directions on the top and sides as to what it is. These can also be defrosted and will fit nicely, with a little force, into the slow cooker.

Rectangular Crock Pot- there are lots of options. The problem I have is that the 9x13 pans don't fit perfectly in them. They have to be defrosted and given a little encouragement to get in there. But then I don't have to warm up the oven or go out to grill!

My list:

Breakfast:

Pancakes-cooked*
Breakfast casseroles*
Quiche Muffins*
Muffins- baked already*
Breakfast cookies*
Waffles (if you have a large enough freezer space)*
Breakfast burritoes
Breakfast sandwhiches
Breakfast Tacos*

Lunch Items to have handy:
Lunch meat
Pantry stable meats like summer sausage...
Cheese Sticks
Crackers*
Dried Fruits
Canned Fruits
Quesadillas -already cooked
Canned soups
Hotdogs
Any dinner items packed individually- I love soup that I freeze in smaller amounts!

Dinner:
  This list could go on forever! Build your meal! I think Protein, Veg, Carb. You can do it how you like it. I try to put them all in 9x13 foil pan so they're ready to put in the oven or the rectangular Crock Pot

Grilled Mexican Chicken, Rice and Beans (serve with salad)
Grilled Chicken leg quarters, brussle sprouts, potatoes
Chicken pot pie
Chicken Pizza (chicken breasts trimmed and pounded thin and topped like your favorite pizza)
Pizza
Chicken Stirfry
Enchiladas
Taco Meat ready for taco salad, tacos, burritos...
Green Enchiladas
Tamales
Brats on hand ready to grill
Raw chicken in a baggie with marineed and seasoning
Grilled Greek chicken with "Greek" seasoned potatoes- serve with salad
Pulled chicken or pork for sandwiches/salads
Burgers seasoned and formed, separated by wax paper


In the picture below is a recent freezer packing I did. On the bottom of the stack is a package of thin, raw, steaks.

*Gluten Free Options are possible

But DO NOT forget balls of cookie dough. Use your ice cream scoop, place dough on a sheet pan, freeze and throw them in baggies. DO NOT pre-cook your cookies! Fresh baked are best. **GF if you your wish. :)

Final step is to make a list and keep it on fridge so that you or anyone helping knows what's on hand!

*Don't forget, this is great to do for camping! The frozen meal is ready to warm and helps keep things in the cooler cold! Win win.

Let me know your favorite freezer meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment