Thursday, June 21, 2018

Gluten Free Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins Recipe - and they're DELICIOUS

We're not strict gluten free people. Maybe that's silly. It is what it is. We try to follow what we think is best for our bodies and health goals most of the time. I probably give in more than my husband. SHhh!

Cutting flour has helped curb some inflammation and digestion issues. It's a good change! But I LOVE to bake. I had to find a way to have some yummy treats without caving on our goals all the time-especially on the weekends. To my excitement I have found that if I mix in a good amount of starch with the gluten free flours and add an extra egg, the texture has been perfect! I started with Martha Stewart's recipe and tweaked it just a bit.

Here's what I did:

2 cups Great Value all purpose gluten free baking mix flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 lemons zested
1 tsp salt
1 3/4 tsp baking powder

juice of 2 juicy lemons aiming for 1/4 cup
3 eggs
1 stick of butter melted and cooled
1/4 cup yogurt

3 Tblsp poppy seeds


Pre-heat oven to 350F
Mix your dry ingredients. I like to mix my zest in with my dry mix. Then mix your wet, being sure to beat those eggs. Then fold the mixture together. I was in a rush and didn't feel like using my mixer, but had I used it and beat the eggs better they may have turned out better- if possible! If you feel like your dough is just too dry you can add a bit of milk.
I used an ice cream scoop to get the batter. I use the bigger scoop for the traditional size and my tiny scoop for a pan of mini muffins. I got 24 mini muffins and 6 big muffins. Perfect.
I sprinkled the top with a bit of granulated sugar and poppy seeds. We're really trying to be reasonable with our eating so I refrained from a lemon glaze. I won one battle!
I actually did a pan of 24 mini muffins because if I failed in the texture and they were gritty or fell apart then it's a lot less noticeable in smaller bites verses a big bite out of a big muffin. It was an unnecessary move though because the texture turned out great.


I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!


Let me know what you think.

*Bonus tip*
I veered away from making poppy seed recipes from scratch for a while because poppy seeds can be expensive and they're not used often, but I was able to find this big container at the grocery store and it was so affordable. Looking for your spices and add ins in this way can save you some dough! Punn intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment